Monday, May 21, 2007

Back in the swing of things

Cuervo shots are the only way to take shots nowadays with me and my weak stomach for most liquor. We celebrated the downstairs-jews crew's graduation with some high quality liquor. It went well overall (no one died). Beyond that, nothing terribly exciting except that STEPH IS HOME FROM SPAIN. Awesome. I'll see her today (I feel like its sunday still but I'm pretty sure now that we have monday daylight I'm officially over "the line") so thats basically the highlight of the day. My good friend Andrew is also on a breakish from the Israeli army and he'll be coming back to the states basically until I head to vegas, so I'm really excited for the upcoming months in basically every way. I haven't felt this good about stuff in a long time and all i can say is...wow, how refreshing. Those are the highlights of my life right now, onto the grind:


Poker:


I'm finally not shipping my moniez to fish. It rules.

After my bad run at 6 max cash online, I decided to accumulate my double VPPs (VIP points on stars, double for their site anniversary promotion) the way I came up online...sit and goes. When i left 9 man tournaments I was 18 tabling the 27 turbos. Recently as sngs have gotten tougher I've heard that 27s basically = 60s nowadays and I didnt feel like more variance by playing higher after a long Sng break/a straining bankroll. I decided to 12-15 table the 16s since saturday, and I'll continue to do so at least until tuesday at midnight when double VPPs end. I'll reevaluate as I put in more time playing, but so far so good. I've run at about 35% ROI over my first couple hundred games. Today alone I made back more than half of my cash downswing that took place over the past couple of months between a hundred sngs and a few hours grinding live NL200.

Live 1/2 was soft as usual, but the short trip report (its 6am and as is obvious in my writing, I'm brain dead) is that things started off terribly. I didnt feel comfortable with my friend Tim (solid cash game player, 1 of the 4 degenerates living in this apartment come the fall) having position on me, but more significantly I just had to donate in small pots until I was stuck half a stack. I rebought and again found myself stuck about 90 bucks and feeling stupid when I couldnt reach showdown with a winner against awful players when the following hand turned my night around:

Sitting with about 220 an extremely LAG asian whom I have played a lot of live cash with (he was playing much more aggro than usual tonight) raised over a habitual weak/tight limper to 12. I reraised to 40 out of the SB with AKo and the weak/tight limper cold called my 3 bet. This was a little unnerving and I wasn't entirely sure what to make of his range at that moment. The villain open raiser jammed and had both of us covered behind. There was 100 in the middle when the action got back to me with the player behind. I'm tired, if you want to talk about any of this session in detail, IM me.......I took a solid 3 minutes to put my money in, and weak villain behind folded AKo while the asian LAG turned over two queens. ack! I run good, so the flop came AKx and I doubled up. I basically played aggro in a couple semi big pots, some with the nuts some with air and ended up 300 for 800+ day combined with my SNG performance. Great day, I'd love not to lose money tommorow, but regardless, I'm going to continue to grind hard and perhaps fall asleep as it is now 6:30am. Goodnight/goodmorning/good day and thanks for reading.



-Alex (AMT)



p.s- mad props to my roomate aaron (manchild) for a monster 3k day yesterday, coming in 5th in a 6max 100 dollar MTT with 450ish runners for 2kish and about a 1k day playing cash games. about a 4k day for our apartment...not too shabby.

No comments: